Noir After Dark Noir After Dark

Can totally see this looping over a crime/noir type of game. Also, were those drums recorded live? They sound incredibly organic!

Joey4Track responds:

Thanks so much! This is going to be in a game actually but it won't be out for awhile. No, the drums are just samples from a jazz kit. They are compressed quite a bit and I have a ton of good room reverb on them, I like my jazz drums big if I can help it :)

Finale Finale

The main chord progression is cool, as is the main melody line. I think, however if you were to put some other overlaying melodies that play off of each other as the song progresses, it would add a lot to the overall intensity. Also, I can't help but feel that when the triplet synth-line hits in, the drums should follow suit with a similar 6/8 beat, mainly with the bass drum. I also felt that there were a lot of great builds that should've built into a bigger climax. Throughout the piece I was just waiting and waiting for that soaring moment to follow one of those builds, and it never quite hit that peak. I can hear where you wanted it to feel the most impactful, but it never truly reaches that point. I would suggest maybe applying some more cymbal work around those areas, mainly hi-hats, deepening the bass a bit more, and adding some soaring melodies, especially around the end. I can see from your description that you didn't have enough time to complete it to your liking, but after the competition, if you feel that you want to tweak this song, these are some suggestions I have. Overall, great potential, just a little under-cooked in my opinion.

Every Photon, 100 Times a Second Every Photon, 100 Times a Second

I love how you took the organic intro of this track and seamlessly transitioned into a glitchy dream-pop vibe. Despite the electronic sound of the bulk of the track, it still manages to sound simultaneously woodsy and natural. Great job; making me nervous for the outcome of this competition, haha

sleepFacingWest responds:

Thanks! No need for nervousness, though. Everyone in this round has already come so far. At this point we can just be happy that challenges were met and enjoy having a supportive community. Competitions are arbitrary. I'm having a blast listening to what other people have come up with.

this came from mars on a cd this came from mars on a cd

This is great! Very atmospheric for a DnB track, yet exhilerating nonetheless. Its well produced, highly experimental and just a joy to listen to! Wish you luck in the contest, fellow competitor!

Alter Ego (Part 1) Alter Ego (Part 1)

Great work! I especially loved the rhythmic strings that appeared around the 2 minute mark

Khadr Khadr

From a production standpoint, this is insane. You clearly have a knack for producing hard-hitting, yet nuanced beats. Its reminiscient of Run the Jewels' production, and even a little bit of Death Grips, but at the same time its wholly unique and very much your own, in that it hearkens back to old school hardcore hip-hop and early Madvillain-era experimemtal. Lyrically, its pretty srong throughout and uses some rather vivid imagery, which i find to be pretty appropriate for the subject matter. I do feel, however you could've slipped in a lot more profanity to heighten the aggression a little bit, though i do commend your effort to retaining an intellectual vocabulary throughout. Also, my biggest problem with this song is that i dont feel that your rapping is on par with the stellar production. The flow is rather redundant and sloppy at times, though I dont think thats your fault sincr as a musician, you likely dont practice your rap technique all that much lol. Maybe once NGAUC is over, you can get a more experienced MC to rap over this phenomenal beat. And i know im not a judge or anything, but i feel like a track with this much potential deserves a full review. Awesome work, though. :^)

Ceevro responds:

'Tis true, I'm no rapper. All of your points on my flow are quite valid. Given the subject matter, I had an awful lot to say, and only a certain amount of time to say it in. Rap is really the only genre I could use to get it all out in the time-space. Using profanity is something that I would ordinarily have no issue with, but this time, given that it's a competition piece, I figured I'd try to hit them with poetry over raw aggression. I wanted the meaning of the words to hit harder than my own talent or lack thereof.

This is, however, the first time I've gotten such high praise on production value! Normally, that's the part where I fall short!

Life is a seething mass of pain and i no longer want any part of it Life is a seething mass of pain and i no longer want any part of it

This shit's more unsettling than that one Current 93 spoken word EP. Props, my guy.

Acerb-False Acerb-False

This shit's so fucking raw and visceral it would make Michael Gira proud. The distorted yelling, the addition of synths, so fucking perfect! Those guitar tones are ace, too.

jambrother2 responds:

A fellow swans fan! I must admit, swans first two albums were a huge inspiration for this project.

Love As You Are Love As You Are

>Post-rock
>Not 25+ mins long

Jokes aside, this is a marvelous piece. Brilliantly produced, beautifully put together, and features a well paced post-rock crescendo complete with triumphant guitar tremolos and sparkling glockenspiel. Very much reminds me of Godspeed You! Black Emperor crossed with a little bit of Spiritualized. Also kind of Explosions in the Sky-ish. The melody that you have droning throughout is absolutely hypnotic and I love how it's complimented by the glockenspiel. Very impressive, and best of luck to you in NGUAC 2k17, fellow competitor!

Cameleon Arc-En-Ciel Cameleon Arc-En-Ciel

Love it! You've crafted a wholly unique textural tapestry and its beautiful. I don't know if I would call it rock per se, more in line ambient, i think. Great work, though.

etK responds: