Life is a seething mass of pain and i no longer want any part of it Life is a seething mass of pain and i no longer want any part of it

This shit's more unsettling than that one Current 93 spoken word EP. Props, my guy.

Acerb-False Acerb-False

This shit's so fucking raw and visceral it would make Michael Gira proud. The distorted yelling, the addition of synths, so fucking perfect! Those guitar tones are ace, too.

jambrother2 responds:

A fellow swans fan! I must admit, swans first two albums were a huge inspiration for this project.

Love As You Are Love As You Are

>Post-rock
>Not 25+ mins long

Jokes aside, this is a marvelous piece. Brilliantly produced, beautifully put together, and features a well paced post-rock crescendo complete with triumphant guitar tremolos and sparkling glockenspiel. Very much reminds me of Godspeed You! Black Emperor crossed with a little bit of Spiritualized. Also kind of Explosions in the Sky-ish. The melody that you have droning throughout is absolutely hypnotic and I love how it's complimented by the glockenspiel. Very impressive, and best of luck to you in NGUAC 2k17, fellow competitor!

Cameleon Arc-En-Ciel Cameleon Arc-En-Ciel

Love it! You've crafted a wholly unique textural tapestry and its beautiful. I don't know if I would call it rock per se, more in line ambient, i think. Great work, though.

etK responds:

Thanks a lot !! I really appreciate it ! :D

Being Being

I love the "fuck all" attitude of this song! And your sense of melody is fantastic! The chord progressions are great as are your vocals, (especially on the chorus). Only complaint would be the that I feel that the lyrical content is a little too straightforward, even if they're meant to be super nihilistic and self-hatredy. It's nice though to see someone else on this site making raw indie rock. It's pretty rare round' these parts.

No One Remembers No One Remembers

Absolutely gorgeous! The guitar arrangements are beautiful, the vocals (possibly my favorite part) are so painfully intimate and honest (very reminiscent of a Nick Drake or Elliott Smith) , the lyrical content perfectly compliments them, and the pads add a sort of haunting element to the piece that add different emotional dimensions to it. Only critiques I have is that I think that the guitars need to be brought down in the mix just a wee bit. They kind of drown out your soft, whispered vocals during the verses. I also felt like the piece could've had a somewhat stronger ending. Still, chilling stuff.

Ceevro responds:

There's always the question of how much power one puts into the ending of a soft, sad song. In some cases, one can really wring the emotion out by attacking the pain, like how Pink Floyd would smash the pain out with soaring vocals...Vera is a favorite piece of theirs.

In this case, I was after a lonely realization of my own insignificance. Perhaps there is something to be said for screaming at the Void...but my thinking is that this piece is about finally understanding how futile that would be. If no one remembers Cnut the Great, king of four countries, I can rest assured that my screaming would drown quickly into the ether. And whether I'm OK with that or not makes no difference in the outcome.

So I don't sound like too much of a downer, I'll tell you the upside of this fact as well:

All of the worst things I have ever done, every embarrassment, every failure, every plainly evil act...those are vanishing just as surely.

J. Greenwood left his Looperman on autopilot J. Greenwood left his Looperman on autopilot

I can very much see the Radiohead influence. Very In Rainbows/Kid A era. Also very much The Cure influenced with some shoegazey atmosphere to boot. Very enjoyable and actually one of my faves out of the submissions thus far. Good luck man, good shit.

Varietist (NGAUC16 Knockout Round) Varietist (NGAUC16 Knockout Round)

FUNKY AF! This piece is super catchy and has a phenomenal bassline. The keychange around 2:40 initially threw me off, but the more I listened the more it started to feel natural. The beat is really hard-hitting which makes it hard to not bob your head along to it. Overall, really fun and memorable piece.

MrSmash64 responds:

keychange - as alot of my favorite musicians and online friends say - the song grows on you.
beat - i'm glad it worked. thank you!

80's Chase Sequence 80's Chase Sequence

80'S AS FUUUUUCK

Into the Heart of the Beast Into the Heart of the Beast

You did an excellent job of taking a concept and turning it into music. The only thing this piece is lacking is a more lively and exciting percussion section (especially in the climax towards the end with the strings). Other than that, fantastic job. And I love how much artistic thought you put into this piece, cuz ya' know, to some people, music isn't an art and to see people put as much artistic depth into a piece as you did really gives me joy.

LucasMasoch responds:

I'm glad it does! Music /is/ an art to me, and I use it to portray things that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

Fortunately, the song won't be judged in the contest until July 27th, so I'll go back an see what I can do with that!